Yoga is a powerful ancient science that traces its roots to ancient India. While on one hand, Yoga can help fight anxiety and stress, on the other hand, it can be an effective way to stay in shape.
Yoga can indeed work wonders when it comes to losing weight! However, when practising the postures, it is important to focus your concentration on your body. Does it feel stiff at times? Don’t rush! Gently keep extending your limits and you’ll discover the true potential of your body. Here are 8 great Yoga workouts for beginners that’ll help you cut fat:
The Tree Pose
- The tree poses tests your balance.
- You need to tighten the muscles of your abdomen to help your body stabilise.
- During this pose, concentrate on maintaining the balance from within.
- Beginners should try this pose first with the feet at shoulder’s width.
Half Forward Bend
- This pose works wonders for your hips and back.
- Bend down from your lower back and pull your navel up towards the spine. When you bend forward, breathe in.
- Push your butt outwards. This creates a straight back position.
- Hold this pose for about 30 seconds.
The Lion Pose
- Also called the Simhasana, this asana (posture) is a good stress buster.
- Your double chin will vanish when you practise this posture regularly.
- Kneel down on the floor. Cross your ankles in such a way that the right ankle crosses the back of the left ankle.
- Your feet must point out on both sides. The perineum should press on the top of the heels.
- Place and spread your palms on your knees and press them firmly.
- Inhale, open your mouth and stretch out the tongue. Curl the tip of the tongue towards the chin. The muscles of the throat should be contracted and your eyes must be open wide.
- Exhale when you produce a sound of “Ha!”. Repeat this a few times.
- If you have an injury on your knees, do not sit on your knees but sit comfortably on a chair when you do the posture.
The Mountain Pose
- Stand with your feet and legs together and keep the heels slightly apart.
- Place your arms at the sides with your palms facing downwards. Keep the spine long and the shoulders pushed back away from the ears.
- Spread the toes and press all the four corners of each of your foot onto the mat.
- Close your eyes and bring hands at the centre of the heart. Hold for 3 breaths fully inflating your lungs and lighten the upper body.
Standing Side Lean
- Bring your arms overhead and interlock the fingers. The thumb and the index finger are not to be interlocked.
- Now, squeeze your arms towards the ears gently.
- Press the feet down when you inhale and stretch over towards the right.
- Press your feet down when you exhale and pull your belly towards your back, then return to the centre.
- Repeat this with left hand side of the body. Finally, return to the mountain pose.
- Lie with your face down on the mat.
- Place your palms slightly more than the width of the mat and the palms should be in line with the breastbone.
- The elbows should be bent. Pull yourself on your fingertips and your elbows should point towards the sky and out towards the sides.
- Press your fingertips, toes, and pelvis into the floor. When you inhale, reach through the crown of the head and keep your spine long and straighten your arms while lifting your chest off the mat. Hold this pose for 10 breaths.
Phalakasana (Plank Pose)
- Grip the mat firmly and round the upper back and shoulders.
- Ensure that the butt stays in line with the body.
The body should be firm in this posture and not sag. Hold this posture for about 30 seconds.
- This pose is good for the lower back and the thighs.
- Lie down on your back, bending your knees in such a way that your feet rest on the floor.
- The distance between your feet and buttocks should be the same as your hands.
- Lift your body in the upward direction. Continue doing this 5 times and then release.
Yoga can play a significant role in helping you lose weight.Practice Yoga on a daily basis if you wish to lose weight. Yoga refreshes your mind, body, and soul and the asanas will work amazingly well when you wish to stay in shape.